Thursday, February 10, 2011

Baby Foodie: Honey Couscous and Peas

I feel a little guilty calling this a “recipe” because it’s so simple, but Conorman loved it so much that I wanted to share.  I threw this together last weekend in a panic of “Oh my gosh it’s lunchtime and he’s hungry and I haven’t been to the store so what can I make fast that’s not a sandwich (again) before he starts screaming???” 

In theory, couscous is a great food for toddlers – fairly benign tasting, pairs well with lots of things, easy to scoop with a spoon, high fiber, low fat, some protein, and more vitamins than pasta or rice.  Sounds good, right?  The only problem is that toddlers like to throw things, like their bowls.  As it turns out, couscous is surprisingly difficult to clean up when launched from the table, so perhaps invest in a good suction bowl or keep a close watch for the wind up.



¼ cup cooked couscous
½  teaspoon-ish honey (just squeeze out a little glob)
¼ cup steamed peas

Make the couscous according to package instructions – mix equal parts boiling water and dry couscous, stir, cover and let sit 5 minutes until the water is absorbed.  Make a bunch and store the leftovers!
Mix cooked couscous, honey and peas and enjoy!­­

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I can imagine that couscous is hard to clean up though - little bits everywhere ;)

    ReplyDelete